Banking and Clearing services
The banking hall is located at the Bank of Uganda Head Office on plot 37/45 Kampala Road and is accessible for business to the general public through Kampala Road entrance from 8.30am to 4.00pm on working days. The services offered by the department Include;
Services to the Public
1. Mutilated notes; these are currency notes that are worn out or not fit for circulation may be exchanged for new ones.
2. Tender documents; Documents for offers to provide supplies and services to the bank are purchased over the counter.
3. Central Depository System counter- All information on Treasury Bills and bonds dealings can be obtained at this counter.
Services to Bank of Uganda customers
1. Deposits-Cash and/or Cheque deposits to government or Bank of Uganda accounts can be done over the counter.
2. Payments- Cash payments to government agencies can be done over the counter.
3. Non-cash Payments – account to account payment transfer instructions are received over the counter for further processing.
Services to Commercial Banks
1. Provision of Payment, Clearing and Settlement Services
The Bank of Uganda hosts and facilitates the Clearing House where clearing banks do presentation and settlement of non-cash instruments (cheques, drafts, debit/credit notes) and electronic records.
The main Clearing House (Kampala Clearing House) is located at the BOU Headquarters in Kampala where representatives for each bank meet daily to exchange instruments.
There are 8 Clearing Houses, one at each of the Bank of Uganda upcountry branches/centers namely: Gulu, Jinja, Masaka, Arua, Mbale, Mbarara, Fort Portal and Kabale
Member banks in these Clearing Houses meet daily to exchange instruments drawn within their regions however settlement is effected at the Bank of Uganda head office.
Membership to the Clearing House is open to all Commercial Banks licensed by Bank of Uganda to carry out the business of banking in Uganda. For a bank to be represented in the Clearing House, it has to fulfill membership a membership criteria which is clearly laid out in the rules. There are two categories of membership – full membership and sub-membership.
Members of Uganda Bankers Clearing House as at April 2017
|Bank of Africa||Ecobank|
|Bank of Baroda||Equity Bank|
|Bank of India Uganda Ltd||NC Bank Uganda Ltd|
|Commercial Bank of Africa||ABC Bank|
|Exim Bank Uganda||Orient Bank|
|Bank of Uganda||Guarantee Trust Bank|
|Barclays Bank||Stanbic Bank|
|Cairo International Bank||Housing Finance Bank|
|Centenary Bank||KCB Bank|
|Citibank||United Bank for Africa|
|DFCU Bank||Standard Chartered Bank|
|Diamond Trust Bank||Tropical Bank|
Sub-members (Sponsored members) of the Clearing House
|Finca Uganda Limited||Stanbic|
|Post Bank||Citi Bank|
|Pride Microfinance Limited||Stanbic|
|Opportunity Bank||Citi Bank|
|Top Finance Bank||Centenary|
|Mercantile Credit Bank||Stanbic|
|UGAFODE Microfinance||Guarantee Trust Bank|
The Clearing House is governed by rules and procedures that have been agreed upon and signed by all the members.
Bank of Uganda operates an Electronic Clearing System that receives clearing data from commercial banks via a secure electronic protocol. This clearing data is then processed and transmitted via the same protocol.
The Clearing House activities are conducted using instruments in any of the following currencies:
- Uganda Shilling (UGX),
- United States Dollar (USD),
- Euro (EURO),
- British Pound (GBP) and
- Kenya Shilling (KES)
2. East African Currencies
Under the auspices of the East African Community, Bank of Uganda accepts cash deposits of East African currencies, which are deposited by commercial banks at the banking hall.
- Customer relationship management service is provided by a team dedicated to respond to customer queries and needs. All customer inquiries can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com and the bank assures customers of response within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Quality Control Assurance is implemented by a dedicated team that scrutinizes all the banking operations and services.
Internet Banking Services
The Bank provides an online Internet Banking facility through a system known as BBS Connect System that enables our customers 24/7 access to all their banking information.
For more information about the services accessed through internet banking please follow this link: https://bbsconnect.bou.or.ug.